Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First audio: Brittany Creedon interview/Mid-Term Project Idea

Brittany Creedon telling us about her new job at SoonerVision.


My mid-term project idea: The Lunar Moon Festival celebration on OU campus

The Mid-Autumn Festival, more commonly known as the Moon Festival, is a popular harvest festival celebrated by the Chinese, Koreans, and Vietnamese dating back over 3,000 years. This festival is one of the two most important holidays in the Chinese and Vietnamese calendar. The other important holiday is the Lunar New Year in January.

Although each culture celebrates it differently, it is usually held around late September or early October. It is a date that parallels the autumn and spring equinoxes of the solar calendar, when the moon is supposedly at its fullest and roundest.

Traditionally, family members and friends will gather to admire the harvest moon, eat moon cakes and make lanterns. Another important event during the Lunar Moon Festival is lion dancing. Either children groups or professional groups in elaborate and colorful lion costumes perform the dances.

I want to do a project over the Lunar Moon Festival celebrated on OU campus because it is a big part of my Vietnamese heritage and I grew up celebrating it. I still get excited when September rolls around, and I can remember childhood memories of making lanterns. Because I am passionate about my culture and I value diversity, I will strive to teach others about the Lunar Moon Festival and other cultural traditions through something interesting and educational such as this multimedia blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment